Gadar: Ek Prem Katha is for sure one of the biggest films in India since the turn of the century. This Sunny Deol and Ameesha Patel starrer, set in the partition era, was a massive hit when it released and remains a film that people continue to revisit to this day. From popular songs like Main Nikla Gaddi Leke to iconic scenes like Hindustan Zindabad, this movie has etched itself in the minds of audiences on both sides of the border.
Here’s one of the iconic scenes from the film Gadar on ZEE5.
Here are five facts about the film Gadar that will remind you of such a massive part of Bollywood’s modern history.
1. Gadar ranks third in Indian films by Box Office India in terms of all-time highest footfalls, beaten only by Baahubali and Hum Aapke Hain Koun.
2. Gadar is the highest-grossing film in Sunny’s acting career.
3. Gadar was Ameesha Patel’s second film and she was selected after auditioning with 500 other people. She won the Filmfare Special Award for the film.
5. The steam engine used for the shooting was hired from the Railway Museum in Delhi and it was all done at a ‘live’ station with a real crowd and actors.
6. The film Gadar was the third time Sunny Deol’s film clashed with Aamir Khan’s movie and all the movies went on to become big hits. The movies include Dil and Ghayal (1990), Raja Hindustani and Ghatak (1996) or Lagaan and Gadar (2001).
7. Gadar broke the record previously set by Sholay for most tickets sold for a Hindi film.
Watch Ameesha Patel and Sunny Deol’s next collaboration Bhaiaji Superhittt also streaming on ZEE5. Check out other iconic films that released This Month That Year in June.